Saturday, August 2, 2008

Closing Night at the Theater

Here's a commission I recently finished. It's a going away present for the production manager of one of the traveling productions of the Broadway musical 'Mamma Mia'. The location is fictional, but it depicts a closing night in any given city where the cast will usually convene at a nearby bar or club for an after party. Meanwhile the crew remains behind to break down and pack up the sets and costumes and other equipment.
It's a big one, 40" x 28" oil on board. The above image is a scan which gave me the most accurate color and the sharpest image. However, there is a ton of glare on the brush strokes. I also took a photo, which is lower quality, but lets you see it without the glare.


I've been wanting to do more nature studies lately. There was a magnificent magnolia tree near my house earlier this spring but I didn't have time to draw it while it was blooming, so I took some pictures and finally found some time to study them.

And of course, here are some more sketches from the coffee shop.



And a recent figure drawing

2 comments:

  1. Very nice painting! I bet it looks way more impressive in person. Great lighting on it though.
    I like the flower drawings too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The painting came out great Bob! I'm with Scott, it must look even better in person. The figure drawing is nice too. Good sense of weight to it.

    ReplyDelete